Wednesday, August 13, 2008

aaaaaah-sah!

Why is it that people always seem to think that speaking louder will make you understand better? Please, please little lady, I don't know a word of Yugoslavian. Dear tourists, you come to MY country and get upset because I don't speak Italian? AND SPEAKING IN CAPITALS DOES NOT HELP, OK?

I've been working in shops long enough to know how this goes. The only way to communicate is drawings and body language. But seriously, you drawing a circle and pointing to it while repeating a word in x language - you're not making it better! C'mon, at least TRY, I know you can. Hey, at least I'm not the one going "aaaah-sah!" while drawing a big circle in mid air - like that weird but insanely funny Japanese person in the hospital scene, out of Lost in Translation.

And sometimes, just sometimes, these people seem to get so annoyed they just have to come back later on and show what they meant. Eggs. Seriously. You asked for eggs in a videostore? You ask for stamps in a photo store? And you think I'm stupid?

Aaaaah-sah!